Tuesday, January 17th, 2012
Lead poisoning has been a concern in the United States since the late 1970s. In 1978, the government banned the use of lead paint in homes, which resulted in the decrease in the number of lead poisoning cases in comparison to the old standard.
Recent research has shown officials at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention that children could still suffer harm from concentrations of lead lower than the current standard that was set back in 1978. Although levels have decreased significantly the latest data available still reports that 1.4 percent of young children had elevated lead levels in their blood in 2004. That compares with almost 9 percent in 1988.
"Too much lead is harmful to developing brains and can mean a lower IQ" says the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
The Advisory Committee on Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention recently conducted a voted 11 to 1 to lower the definition of lead poisoning for young children from 10 micrograms of lead per deciliter of blood to 5 micrograms. The CDC has three months to act on the advice. Although this vote is considered only a recommendation, the CDC has accepted all of the panel's recommendations in the past.
Usually, lead poisoning cases involve children living in old homes that are dilapidated or under renovation, who pick up paint chips or dust and put it in their mouths.
Educate yourself and your family on lead poisoning. Indoor Environmental Management is the leading lead assessment company in Northern Florida call or email us today for a free estimate on basement waterproofing, crawl space repair, mold remediation and lead assessment today.