Both mold and dust mites can cause problems with your family's health and your home too.
In just a couple years, these small culprits can hurt your home and property, all the while damaging your health with allergens from mold spores and waste from dust mites.
PLEASE NOTE: Mold or Environmental Inspections have a fee associated with them based on the square footage of your home or business.
(Click each for more information)
At Indoor Environmental Management, we can help you find easy solutions for controlling mold, dust mites, rot, and humidity in your home.
Our warrantied products can seal your basement or crawl space from outside humidity, while our energy-efficient dehumidifiers keep your space dry and healthier than ever.
We've been fixing damp, moldy spaces since 1981, and we have the experience and products you need to keep your space dry all the time!
Eating Organic Materials:Mold and dust mites feed off of any organic material which includes but is not limited to: dust, fabric, fiberglass resins, drywall, wallpaper, glue, paint, and wood. One thousand dust mites can live in one gram of dust, each creating 20 waste pellets per day!
Mold Lives In The Cold: Ever see mold in your fridge? As long as the temperature is over 40 °F (4 °C), mold can grow and spread through your home.
They Are Fast Growers: Mold grow in a home (just like a petri dish) in as few as 24-48 hours, with approximately a billion mold spores growing on a foot of drywall.
Mold Can Lead To Insurance Problems: Because of thousands of mold-related lawsuits that are filed, most general liability and property insurance companies exclude mold insurance from their policies.
Mold Can Destroy Your Home: Professional Builder Magazine warns that mold can lower the value of your home. For example, a home worth about $250,000 can have $100,000 in mold problems and can lead to structural damage in the building.
Damage To Your Health: Exposure of mold spores can happen by inhalation, ingestion, and skin contact. Mold and dust mite waste are connected to increase in allergies, asthma, and other breathing problems. Even dead mold spores can hurt your health.
Highly Allergenic: 90% of patients show dermal reactivity to dust mite waste. Dust mite waste is about 80-90% of the allergic component of house dust, with 15 potent allergens that sensitize and trigger allergic reactions. The American Family Physician mentions "controlling dust mites is the most important thing you can do in your house to make your asthma and allergies better."
Sneaky Mold & Dust Mites: Mold grows in fiberglass insulation, behind drywall, and wallpaper too. Mites can live in items like furniture, cloth, and pillows. The trick to remember is that just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it's not there.
In Summary Executive director of the Indoor Air Quality Association Glenn Fellman says, "If you are reacting to a problem because somebody's been sick, you've waited way too long to address indoor air quality."
Prevent the mold or dust mite problem before it's a real problem!
Water often rises through the porous concrete of your basement floor. The material installed on the concrete will trap this moisture resulting in mold and rot. Seal your basement floor before installing carpet or organic materials.
Mold, rot and dust mites all need moisture and humidity to survive.
Mold and dust mites need moisture from the air to survive and when humidity levels drop below 60% relative humidity, they won't be able to thrive.
By sealing out humidity from outside air and installing a dehumidifier, you can protect yourself from mold and dust mite problems.
We offer moisture control quotes to homeowners in our Florida service area.
Mold spores are present nearly everywhere, growing when they meet sufficient temperature, moisture, and organic material to grow.
50% of homes have at least one resident with allergies, with the American Lung Association showing that 88 million Americans suffering from some sort of respiratory distress. 90% of people with allergies show sensitivity to mold spores.
Dust mites are microscopic arachnids that live in your home, most often in carpeting, sofas, pillows, and other cushioned furniture.
Dust mites create allergenic fecal material, which they release into the air as much as 20 times a day. Dust mites live in humid areas, absorbing moisture directly from the air.
Black Mold is a highly toxic mold that is rare but dangerous when it grows in the home.
Black mold spores host a fungus that produces carcinogenic "mycotoxins" that are linked to ailments such as liver cancer, lung cancer, chronic liver damage, acute or chronic nervous system damage, endocrine problems, and others.
Mold and rot can begin to form in damp wood in as little as 24-48 hours.
If allowed to damage wood unchecked, rot, mold, and dry rot can lead to many thousands of dollars worth of damage to a home. In the case of dry rot, a 75% loss of toughness can be caused by a 1% weight loss. Rot and mold in wood should be addressed as soon as possible.